The Story of My Speedy: LXR & Co

8.3.17



The french are really good at making croissants, macarons, champagne, chateaus, paintings, boulevards and....

handbags.

Does that really surprise you? Probably not.

Most notably, I want to talk to you about potentially the most iconic french handbag maker in existence - Louis Vuitton.

The house of Louis Vuitton dates back to 1854, and actually started its business by making trunks for travel. Can you believe that Monsieur Vuitton started his business at the age of 16?! Not your typical lemonade stand, that's for sure. The signature monogram canvas was actually used to fight counterfeiting (seems that even back then LV envy was a real thing!) and his innovative stackable trunks became synonymous with the brand.

However, you may have noticed that I haven't actually mentioned any handbags - and that's because Louis Vuitton didn't make any!

It was not until the 1930s that Louis Vuitton actually marketed its' very first handbag. That's when the Keepall was born. The bag was designed from a cotton canvas and its purpose was actually to be easily folded into the bottom of a suitcase, acting as a supplement to travel luggage. Shortly after, the brand decided that they wanted to cater to customers looking for a bag that could fit everyday necessities and that was big enough to carry on over-night and weekend getaways.

So, in comes the Speedy.

A direct descendant of the Keepall, the Speedy silhouette quickly became an iconic model for the brand, and remains so to this very day. Made with one single piece of canvas, the bag has two top handles and a zip closure that can be secured with a lock. At the time, the bag was available in three sizes: 30, 35 and 40.

What really impresses me about Louis Vuitton is the legacy behind this brand. For some reason, I get a pang of nostalgia and romanticism when I think about it. Women have loved handbag for decades, and this timeless beauty and amazing story were precisely the reasons why I had to make this bag mine!

But how did I know which size to pick? Well the answer was simple.

via Pinterest

Audrey Hepburn loved the Speedy, and carried it often. However, since she was so petite, she wished there was a smaller size than the standard 30cm to better compliment her frame. In 1965, Audrey made a special request to Henri-Louis Vuitton to create a smaller model just for her. 

When I graduated from university, I knew I wanted to buy myself a really special present. Something that I would have forever, and that truly represented the culmination of all my hard work.

The more and more I thought about it, the answer became clearer and clearer.

Owning one of the most iconic handbags of all time was more than enough to seal the deal for me! This bag came with an amazing story - one I could tell to everyone who asked (and even those who didn't). Imagining myself carrying the same handbag that Audrey Hepburn favoured for so many years, I knew that Speedy and I were going to embark on an amazing adventure together.

The more research I did, the more I learned. Knowing that the Speedy came with an impressive price tag, I decided to seek other options.

Ladies and Gentlemen, let me introduce you to LXR & Co.

via LXR & Co.

I had the chance to see a LXR pop-up store the year before at my local Hudson's Bay department store, and I was instantly impressed by the idea. Basically, this is a consignment store for luxury accessories. For some, it's a great way to de-clutter and get rid of unloved items. For others (myself included) its the perfect way to inject some luxury into your life and snag those most-wanted items for a more reasonable price tag. LXR stocks tonnes of different designer brands, with new items coming in all the time (keep refreshing!). The company carries only authentic items, which was a big deal for me, because I definitely didn't want to make the mistake of purchasing a counterfeit!

I realized that buying a pre-loved item was really the route for me. Aside from the price tag, buying a brand new Speedy meant that I would have to wait for my handbag to patina to my desired colour. For those  who wonder, "patina" is the term used by Louis Vuitton for the oxidization of the raw vachetta leather used to make the bag's handles and trim (handbag science!). Have you ever seen a monogram Speedy with beautiful caramel-coloured handles? Well, that is what I wanted - and I knew I wouldn't be getting that if I bought the bag from a boutique.

Much to my absolute excitement, a permanent LXR concession had opened up at the Hudson's Bay in the mean time (which has since so tragically closed - but luckily the website remains open 24/7). 

On one particular shopping trip, I decided to visit LXR after religiously stalking their website for a little over a month. That day, I became the proud owner of a 2008, Made in France, Speedy 25!

The experience I received at LXR was really great. The sales associate was actually able to search the inventory to find what was available across stores, which wasn't listed online. She took into consideration my concerns about the condition of the bag and the maximum price which I would be willing to pay. With the click of a button and a swipe of my credit card, the bag was en-route to me! After (im)patiently waiting a little over a week, I finally went to pick up my Speedy.

Wrapped up in a dust bag, there she was waiting for me - I was so excited! The only sad part of the whole process was saying goodbye to my sales associate. I felt like we had become friends after emailing (almost daily) about the status of my order!

Now I have my dream handbag, with a history - and a future (that's currently in the making).

Louis, I think this is the beginning of a beautiful friendship!

You Might Also Like

0 comments